1lb (or 500g) mixed dried fruit
1 cup water (or cold tea)
1 cup sugar
4 oz butter or margarine
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp mixed spice (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
2 oz chopped nuts (optional)
4 oz chopped glace cherries (optional)
(note – this is a very easy recipe to vary. Add more or less spices, candied peel, glace ginger – whatever appeals. You can also add a couple of tablespoons of rum or brandy if you are making this for a special occasion)
Do this part as far in advance as you can – at least an hour.
- Place the fruit, water, sugar and margarine into a large saucepan.
- Heat over a medium heat until the margarine is melted.
- Leave to cool (so that the fruit can absorb as much liquid as possible)
Once cool, add the booze (if being used) then
- Heat your oven to gas mark 4, 1900C, 375oF
- Stir in the beaten eggs, flour and any of the optional ingredients you may be using.
- Mix well
- Pour mixture into a prepared (greased/lined) tin. 8” round or a loaf tin.
- Bake for 90 minutes (check after an hour) until done (when a knife comes out clean).
If the cake is getting dark on top but is still not done, cover the top with some kitchen foil.
When done, allow to cool in tin for 10-15 minutes before turning out. Store in airtight container once cold.